Friday, March 04, 2005

Project ideas

I have a few things that I would like to know more about, but I am not sure if any of these translate into projects...
a) understanding the different definitions of digital divide -- the access vs. use issue. For this project, I would do a review project -- comparing two seminal pieces about the digital divide -- one that defines the digital divide as access to a computer and one that defines digital divide as use of the Internet.

b) Internet Access and Children. In this project, I would like to explore which kids are on-line, what are they doing on-line and Internet safety issues as it pertains to kids use. I guess this would be a research paper.

c) The truly unconnected. I would like to do a review or research project to explore those segments of the population who chose not to access the Internet and why. It may make more sense to do this as a policy piece, but I hesitate to say that I will make any recommendations on what to do...

1 comment:

  1. I like the third idea best. The first seems too broad and the second would be OK if you focused it a bit more (either "what kids do online" or "safety issues" would be sufficient as a topic). But the "truly unconnected" is a topic that keeps coming up in our discussions and it would be useful to explore further. I like the idea of doing a policy paper on it, or a review paper.

    ReplyDelete