Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Jessica Fairchild Intro


Greetings,
I'm a second year, last semester SLIS student with interests in electronic records, digital information/technologies, archives and records management. Lately I've become interested in the social and cultural aspects of digital information/technologies and how they shape the records we create.

I received my BA, what seems like many moons ago, from UCSD in Sociology and English Lit. While an undergrad I found myself working at Geisel Library and had many wonderful opportunities working in a number of different departments. After several years at Geisel, I took a leave of absence to work for Semester at Sea. I sailed with them on their fall 2002 voyage, and we traveled to many great places, such as Vietnam, Kenya, Brazil, Cuba, India and several others. (FYI: At least when I traveled, they hire 1 librarian position each voyage. I highly recommend this experience to anyone who loves to explore the world, meet interesting people, and eat amazing food.)

Before moving to Madison three years ago, my husband and I lived in Juneau, Alaska. I worked for a whale watching outfit for a few summers and then worked at the Alaska State Archives. I found myself in Alaska, by way of Panama, hoping to make some cash to fund an extended life of leisure back in beautiful Panama. However, I met my husband in Juneau (I know cliche) and as they say...the rest is history. I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl on September 4th, 2008, and each day she inspires me to be a better person and to see the world with new eyes.

I currently work at the University Archives and Records Management Services on the RM side of things. Upon graduation, we plan to move back to sunny San Diego.

No comments:

Post a Comment