Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Technology and Social Inclusion


I will be reviewing Technology and Social Inclusion: Rethinking the Digital Divide by Mark Warschauer. The back blurb states that Warschauer seeks to move beyond the simplistic have/have-nots binary to explore the different ways that people access and utilize information and technology. This book is international in scope in that Warschauer looks at cases in Brazil, India, China, and Egypt as well as the United States. The book looks at four different types of resources: Physical, Digital, Human, and Social in addition to looking at modes of access and the interaction between the economy, society, and technology. I am interested to see how Warschauer addresses the digital divide in developing countries with such powerful economies.

1 comment:

  1. I just read two chapters from this book, as well, and really, really liked the way things were being framed. It's where I got the theoretical background for my school busing presentation from last week, in fact. I can't wait to hear about the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete