Saturday, March 07, 2009

Book Review Selection


For my book review, I've selected Jane Margolis and Allan Fisher's "Unlocking the Clubhouse: Women in Computing." I enjoyed the excerpt on East River High that Margolis wrote and decided to find something else that had to do with education. This book looks at why women continue to be underrepresented in tech fields, either in schools or in the workplace. I haven't started it quite yet but it seems pretty interesting. The book specifically looks at two areas: why interest in technology seems to fade as girls reach middle school and why those female students who do enroll in tech programs at colleges/universities are less likely to stay with the major and get jobs in the field. Part of their research was conducting interviews with about 250 women enrolled in the computer science program at Carnegie Mellon. I'm excited to read it!

1 comment:

  1. This book looks really interesting and ties in nicely with much of the material put up on the Wiki this week. I almost chose a book on women and technology, so I will be interested to see how Margolis and Fisher explain and explore this phenomena.

    ReplyDelete